Saturday, February 17, 2007

Tears in Paris.


Cheering for the death of anyone is a horrid and shameful habit. Sorry if I am unable to keep myself from at least mentioning that the news of the death of Maurice Papon brought a vocal gesture of happiness from myself.

To claim that Papon is a national hero in France would be somewhat misleading; he wasn't universally adored more like 80% claimed him as figure of national pride.

It speaks volumes that his criminal cases and convictions were routinely tossed aside in favor of allowing him to return to a civilian life free of punishment for his role in Jewish deportations and incarcerations leading to deaths.

That, even today in France they see very little wrong with what he did, why he did it, or for that matter who he did it to, is quite troubling and tells me that the issue of antisemitism hasn't been ended in France.

But it hasn't ended anywhere really, so no surprise it still has a home in Paris.

Feel free to tell me why I am wrong about the French, that they really aren't as evil as this man who they have sheltered and protected from justice for over 60 years.

Please, explain it to me if you can.

No comments: